I thought I’d start my recipe-related entries with an easy yet delicious dessert. I love strawberries, I love chocolate, and I love sprinkles. Why not put them all together to create a colorful, bite size piece of heaven? What I love most about this”recipe” (if you can even call it that) is that you can use any flavor/color chocolate and sprinkles (my only recommendation is to use a glitter-esque type of topping, only because the bigger sprinkles tend to pull the chocolate down when melted). Let’s get started!
- 1 box of strawberries
- Chocolate melts (I use Wilton Candy Melts and get them from Michael’s, but lots of other places carry this type of chocolate. One bag lasts me for at least 3 servings).
- Microwaveable bowl & spoon (or a double boiler if you have one)
- Wax/parchment paper
- Cookie sheet
- Wash and dry strawberries completely before doing anything else!
- Pour chocolate melts into microwaveable bowl. I usually estimate 3-4 melts per strawberry but that might change depending on how big your fruit is. Microwave for 30 seconds then stir the chocolate. It may appear that you need more time, but keep stirring! If after 30 seconds of mixing you still see clumps, then microwave again. You don’t want to burn the chocolate though! Sometimes just being in the hot bowl makes the pellets melt on their own without needing more heat so be patient. You want the chocolate to be creamy and smooth, so keep working with it until you get that result. If you are using a double boiler, use the same estimating technique and melt until you get the same result.
- Dip your strawberry and hold it over the bowl until the dripping has ceased. Since this chocolate hardens quickly, you should see that it’s starting to take its form on the fruit. Twirl the strawberry slowly after a few seconds to make the end of the chocolate wrap around itself and set.
- Once the dripping has stopped, dip the tip of the strawberry into the sprinkles. You can put as much or as little as you like. Place the strawberry on the wax paper and continue with the rest. Hint – After each strawberry, give the bowl a couple of stirs. You don’t want the chocolate to start setting before you finish!
- Put cookie sheet in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes to really make sure the chocolate is stiff and the strawberries are cold. Then enjoy!
Not a fan of strawberries? You can adapt this for any fruit you like! Chocolate dipped bananas, pineapple, cherries, apples, and melon are excellent choices.
Not a fan of fruit? You can adapt this for any snack you like! Chocolate dipped pretzels, chips, marshmallows, and nuts are excellent choices.
There it is. I told you it was easy! And like I said, very flexible. Pick colors that match the theme of your event and show off your gourmet skills. Also try different chocolate flavors! The Wilton dark mint chocolate is one of my favorites with strawberries 🙂 Now gimme some oven lovin’.