Happy Birthday, America!
Okay, so I lied. I said I wasn’t going to post any more holiday desserts, and I had no intention of doing this, but since I made these bad boys for today’s BBQ I figured I would at least share what I did.
They’re mini, and adorable, and yummy, and cheap, and easy.
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- Gel food coloring
- Sprinkles (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Follow the directions that are on the back of the cake box. If you really wanted to do a red, white, and blue theme then I suggest actual white cake and not funfetti like I did.. but funfetti is my favorite, and that’s what I chose, so buzz off!
Anyway, once you mix all of the ingredients, evenly distribute the mixture into two other bowls (three in total). Add blue gel to one, red gel to another, and leave the third one untouched. The darker you want your cake, the more gel you add. It’s simple.
3. Line your cupcake holders. I used mini molds but you can use whatever size you like. Take a small amount of each color and fill the liners 2/3 of the way. I used about 3/4 of a teaspoon of each color and layered them.
4. Take a toothpick and swirl the colors a little to give the cupcake a cool, marble effect. Don’t mix too much! You just want to blend the edges of the colors together.
5. Bake until the cupcakes are cooked. For my minis, I put them in for about 13 minutes. If you are using other molds, follow the time on the back of the box.
6. Once the cupcakes are out and cooled, it’s time to frost! I whipped the frosting then piped it on. Some cupcakes even got some festive sprinkles. This last part is completely up to you. Have fun with them.
Have a wonderful, safe Independence Day! Gimme some oven lovin’.