I love the taste of coconut but I don’t eat it nearly as often as I would like. For some reason it always reminds me of summer and that’s when I indulge. Maybe it’s the whole tropical island, paradise, beach connection that my brain makes? Whatever the rationale, I absolutely satisfied my appetite with these tasty macaroons.
- 1 bag of flaked coconut (7oz)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Chocolate candy melts for coating (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine coconut, sugar, and egg whites in a bowl. Mix the ingredients completely so all the flakes are coated.
3. Using a spoon, make 1-1.5in balls and place on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. I was able to make 20 macaroons from this mixture.
4. Bake in the oven for 13-16 minutes, or until the top layers become lightly browned/golden. Cool completely when finished.
Don’t be alarmed if the bottom edges oozed over and look overcooked. You can easily scrape those pieces off or even tuck them under if you like the taste.
5. You can either finish now or coat in chocolate. Microwave candy melts for 30 seconds then spoon some chocolate onto the bottom of each ball.
You can also drizzle over the top for a fancier look. Or do both as I did.
Gimme some oven lovin’.