If you have an Auntie Anne’s near you and you haven’t tried their cinnamon sugar pretzels, you are MISSING OUT. They are my favorite kind of pretzels and today’s inspiration for these muffins.
It’s no surprise I like cinnamon, but the combination of it with sugar is just so heavenly that it’s hard to not enjoy. These treats are light yet filling and are great at any time of the day.
- 1 3/4 cups AP flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
For the topping:
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tray with liners.
2. In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Give it little mixing and set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, sugar, milk, and oil.
4. Combine into the large bowl of dry ingredients until everything is blended.
5. Evenly divide batter into the muffin liners. It should be about 3/4 full.
6. Bake for about 21-24 minutes, or until the muffins are golden and moist.
7. While they are baking, you can get started on the topping. Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a bowl that is big enough to dip the muffins into.
When they are done baking, allow a couple of minutes to cool, but not too long because you want them warm for the next step!
8. Spread some margarine onto the top of the muffins untl it melts, then immediately roll the muffin into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Repeat until all of the muffins are coated.
9. You should still have some topping left over. Spoon a little onto the top of each muffin and spread with the back of the spoon so it sticks to the rest. Repeat again until you no longer have any of the mixture left.
You can eat them like this or insert a filling. I totally recommend Nutella, but they are also good with jelly or marmelade. Depending on how you serve them, they are great breakfast or dessert goodiess.
Gimme some oven lovin’.